Do you have a good relationship with your sibling? While it's true that a little sibling banter is perfectly normal, being close to your siblings can actually add a lot of value to your life.
Here's what you can do to take the first step:
- Leave the past in the past. Don't stay stuck on the time they ate your chocolate when you were 11, or when you had to cancel your plans so they could use the car. Say sorry and move on.
- Show up for them. Make sure to turn up at events that are important to them. Graduations, accomplishments, birthdays, etc.
- Value them. Sometimes we’re oddly rude to our siblings. Treat them how you'd treat you'd expect to be treated. You can't expect them to be nice to you if you don't show any consideration towards them, right?
- Accept each other's differences. You don't have to have the same interests. In fact, celebrate and cherish each others' differences, and be curious about things they like.
- Stay connected. Text each other, send each other funny sibling memes on Instagram, and make an effort to stay in their lives!
- Stop comparing. It's possible your best friend and her sister go for weekly lunches and post cute story updates. Understand that your relationship has its own place.
We know it's hard to imagine being besties with your siblings, but just know that if you do get there—family vacations are about to get a lot more fun :)