While running seems easy as an activity, there are some things you should avoid. Especially if you’re running often, these things will play a huge factor.
- Don’t stay dehydrated. (Even when you’re not running). Running is a high-intensity workout. Your body burns a lot of calories, and you sweat a lot. Therefore, it’s essential to stay hydrated as it might lead to low sugar levels.
- Don’t overtrain. Running can become addictive after a while as it makes you feel good. But, keep in mind that overtraining could lead to severe injuries.
- Avoid indulging in junk food. You might assume that because you’re burning so many calories, you’re allowed to indulge in whatever you wish to. But if you’re taking this seriously and want to improve, you’ll have to alter your diet. You can consume anything you want in moderation. Increase the intake of fruits, proteins, and carbohydrates.
- Don’t skip out on warm-ups and cool-downs. The reason we warm-up is to get our blood flowing and stretch the muscles before an intense activity, so we can perform better. After exercising, our muscles get tight. Hence, to release the tension, a cool down is necessary.
- Avoid consuming heavy meals right before running. Your body needs time to digest food and convert it into energy. If you run right away after eating, you might feel uneasy.
Remember that your body is different, and your training will differ from everyone. Run at your own pace. Eat how much your body requires. Your body speaks to you. Listen to it!