When having a panic attack, we fall in a state of disarray and lose all sense of control. In such a situation, it is important to ground ourselves.
Here are some ways to mentally ground yourself while experiencing a panic attack:
- Narrate your environment in detail: Using all your senses, narrate your environment. For eg, "The walls are white", "The table is made from wood", "This snack is salty", "The birds are chirping outside".
- Describe an everyday activity in detail: Narrate to yourself an activity you engage in daily. For example, how you made for lunch today. "First, I sautéed vegetables in a pan, then added spices", etc.
- Imagine: Close your eyes and imagine a safe space. Form a mental image of a pleasant memory or a comforting place. Use all your senses to make it as vivid as possible.
- Count to 10 or recite the alphabets slowly.
- Read something aloud to yourself: Read the newspaper, a book, a comforting quote, etc.
- Affirmations: Say affirmations to yourself by loudly repeating sentences like, "This will pass", "You'll get through this", etc.