It's possible that your relationship with your mom has changed over the years. If you've lost that bond somewhere between high school and adulthood, it may be time to reconnect!
Here are some simple ways to improve your relationship with your mom:
- Call or message her with updates about your day - Show that you want her to be a part of your life. If you have been completely out of touch, go slow—maybe start calling once a week.
- Make plans together - Make an active effort to spend time with her. Go for lunch, a spa day, a movie, etc. And when you are together, give her your undivided attention.
- Really get to know her- When we're kids, it's normally all about us. However, when we grow up we realize our 'mom' also has her own identity aside from being just 'mom'! Ask her questions about herself and what's going on in her life (there's a high chance you'll be surprised!)
- Appreciate her - However complicated your relationship with her is, you definitely have some things to be grateful for, right? Tell her, make her feel special.
- Take a trip down memory lane- Open up that old photo book and start flipping. Reminiscing over old times will make you remember how special your relationship is :)
Of course, it is up to you to decide whether you want to simply talk over the phone once a week or become BFFs, but you won't regret it!