Healthy communication is the key to successful relationships in life. However, this does not always involve pleasant conversations. Sometimes, there are some difficult conversations that need to happen to maintain peace in that relationship as well as in our lives.
So, it's okay if these conversations make you anxious. Following are some ways to help you make these conversations easier:
- Ask yourself if you are ready: Having these conversations is not easy, so it is important that you only engage in them when you are in the right headspace.
- Be direct: Don't beat around the bush, have a direct and honest conversation. A respectful conversation will make sure that point goes across as you mean it and no one gets hurt in the process.
- Don't aim at pleasing: Don't try to please them constantly. Don't coddle them or underestimate their capability to understand your point of view.
- Listen actively: Listen to them not only to respond but to understand. Your point is valid but understand that there might be some validity to what they are saying as well.
- Don't be afraid to leave: Sometimes, these conversations don't go as planned. When a situation like this arises, do not hesitate to leave. Remember, your energy is your first priority.
It's okay if you don't feel ready to have that conversation yet. But don't let it go, have that difficult conversation to protect your headspace and energy and have healthy and fulfilling relationships in your life.