We've all been guilty of cheating on our diet on bad days. What if there was a way to some guilt-free pleasure?
Turns out, certain foods can improve your mood without negatively impacting your diet. In fact, they might just improve it! These healthy foods have an impact not only on your physical but also your mental fitness.
Let's have a look at these healthy mood boosters:
- Buttermilk & yogurt contain a healthy amount of 'probiotics' that assist indigestion. Research states that probiotics also help in decreasing depression and anxiety.
- Citrus fruits are packed with a wide range of antioxidants and are also linked to lower rates of depression.
- Cheese & egg yolks contain vitamin D which increases the body's serotonin levels. This helps regulate your mood.
- Nuts, seeds & fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids, healthy fats, and fiber and also limit your intake of processed foods. A 10-year study linked nut intake to a 23% lower risk of depression.
- Dark chocolate is high in flavonoids. Flavonoids increase blood flow to your brain, boost brain health and increase feel-good chemicals in your brain too!
- Bananas are a great source of natural sugar and vitamin B6. It helps in stabilizing your blood sugar levels and mood.
- Oats are an excellent source of fiber. Fiber slows down the digestion of the carbs and allows for the gradual release of sugar, leading to a boosted mood.
You can get fitter both physically and mentally just by eating these foods! Best part? They're totally guilt-free.