While the idea of a ‘family movie night’ can seem like a forced event, a few tweaks might just make this activity something that the entire family looks forward to!
- Make it a tradition. This could be once a week or even once a month, but allocate a fixed time and date to your movie nights. eg: Every first Friday of the month. Pick a time that works best for everyone, and do it consistently.
- Take turns choosing a movie. You may want to watch Devil Wears Prada, while your brother may prefer Spider-Man Homecoming. If everyone gets a chance, you're more likely to be okay with other people's choices (as you'll get your turn too)!
- Let everyone contribute. You could be in charge of the popcorn, your dad could be in charge of making the room comfy. Let everyone feel they’re playing a part.
- Make the food special. You could all pitch in to make a family favorite meal, or simply order a safe classic like pizza! Ensure you have yummy food to go along with your movie.
- Unplug and be present. Make it a point to keep phones and laptops away. This goes for parents as well as kids. Lead by example and make this quality family time.