If you're tired of hearing comments like "You’re just so sensitive." or "Why do you take everything so personally?", you may be a highly sensitive person.
Highly sensitive people are deeply empathetic, tend to overstress, and are just more aware of everything around them. Note that this is not a disorder, but a personality trait. Remember, you are not alone - about 20% of the population is highly sensitive.
As a highly sensitive person, here are some things you can do to make your life easier:
- Make sure to give yourself some daily alone time. This helps you recharge to be around people.
- Make friends with fellow HSP's. They are likely to empathize with your needs and understand you.
- Reduce stimuli in your external environment. Keep the TV off if you're not watching, and consume lesser social media.
- Practice meditation. This helps in increasing self-compassion and becoming more mindful.
- Accept that you are more sensitive. Try noticing and sitting with your emotions when you're feeling uneasy. With time, you will get better!
The good news? You can use this to your advantage. You are inherently more insightful, have the capability to focus deeply, and can also make better choices! In fact, according to psychologist Dr. Elaine Aron—highly sensitive people make the best leaders :)